Translate

Monday, February 8, 2016

Iatrogenic Pain....

I had an epidural steroid injection. Just because I do not want to have to explain it all, I'll paraphrase from the signed report that went along with the procedure:

"The patient was placed prone on the CT table and localizing transaxial images were performed. 
After choosing the appropriate level for access, the lumbar region was prepped and draped in 
standard sterile fashion. The skin and subcutaneous tissues along the anticipated needle tract 
were anesthetized with 1% lidocaine. A 25-gauge 3.5 inch spinal needle was then advanced under 
CT guidance until the tip of the needle was within the right T11-T12 neuroforamen. 
Approximately 1 mL of Omnipaque-300 mixed with 0.5 mL of 0.5% Marcaine were injected into the 
epidural space. Confirmation of appropriate distribution of the injected materials was made 
with additional imaging. Then, 80 mg of Depo-Medrol mixed with 0.5 mL of 0.5% Marcaine was 
injected into the epidural space. The needle was removed. The patient tolerated the procedure 
without evidence for immediate post procedural complication."

I know they did some nerve damage and it's so frustrating to have iatrogenic pain along with my chronic pain! I had to go to the ER on Feb 1st because the pain was so severe right at the injection site. They got an IV started with hydromorphone ( Dilaudid). I was set to have an MRI to see if there was any damage. MRIs are extremely painful for me because my back can't handle lying there. So they also gave me fentanyl. I was able to complete the 3.5 hour MRI relatively pain free. They didn't find any gross damage. But between the time I got accepted to the ER at 5pm and when I was discharged, I had 5 vials of hydromorphone (Dilaudid) and 5~6 vials of fentanyl. The pain is still increased so I'm setting up meetings to see which medicines I can go on until it heals.

1 comment:

  1. I saw your images posted. I would like to connect and chat if possible. Would you please contact me to let me k bbn ow if you would be willing to chat?

    ReplyDelete