Translate

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Hiatus over! Also, DL-Phenylalanine for pain is NO myth.

If you're like me, you look with skeptic eyes when it comes to natural shit for pain. DLPh is one of the 20 essential amino acids. It acts as a precursor to tyrosine, which in turn can be transformed into dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine. So far, nothing unusual. You can find tyrosine all over.

Why and how does it help pain? It blocks enkephalin degradation by the enzyme carboxypeptidase A. Also it is a competitive antagonist at the glycine binding site of NMDA and glutamate binding sites of AMPA receptors. That is part of the pain relief given by alcohol. Which I know is the OTC analgesia nectar but I will write about the dance between alcohol and chronic pain more in detail later.

So, enkephalin is an endogenous opioid that only really binds to the ∂-opioid receptor. The receptor has less than half of the affect on pain then the ยต-opioid receptor (i.e. where morphine binds to).

But hear me when I tell you, for me, I have had about a ~40% redux in "active" pain. That's only me though.

In theory, it would work better with a mild MAOI. I personally, would try it. BUT I have medical training. MAOI and DLPh will cause a hypertensive crisis, among other hells. If you still decide on doing that, your life, is in your hands. Much like risky sexual activities with a HIV+ person. I can say no but I can never stop a person's free will.

No comments:

Post a Comment